Making a FOIP Request

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("the FOIP Act") provides a formal method of requesting information held by public bodies which is not available by other means.

Public bodies include the following:

  • Government of Alberta
  • Municipalities
  • Metis settlements
  • Drainage districts
  • Irrigation districts
  • Housing management bodies
  • School jurisdictions
  • Post-secondary institutions
  • Public libraries
  • Police services
  • Police commissions
  • Health care bodies

Before making a FOIP request, contact the FOIP Coordinator of a public body if you have questions about how that public body manages your personal information, or you want to request access to information or a correction of your personal information. Contact information is available in the Directory of Public Bodies on this website.

A FOIP request must be made in writing, however, an oral request will be accepted if you are unable to make a written request. You may either complete a request form or write a letter to the public body indicating that you are making the request under the FOIP Act. Fees may be charged.

  • Request to Access Information form (PDF)
  • Request to Correct Personal Information form (PDF) 

    Send your request to the public body that has the records you wish to access. Consult the Directory of Public Bodies to locate contact information for the public body to which your access request should be sent. Do not send requests to Information Access and Protection, Service Alberta, as our office does not process FOIP requests.

    For more information on this topic, read the FAQ on How Do I Make a FOIP Request? (PDF)