Register documents or plans

Types of plans

Common survey plans that can be registered at Land Titles Offices.

What’s important to know

A monument is any natural or artificial object that is fixed permanently in the land, and is referred to in a legal description of the land.

Subdivision Plan

What is it

An owner can subdivide their land with the approval of the subdivision authority, as defined in the Municipal Government Act. The land must be surveyed by an Alberta Land Surveyor.

The owner then registers a subdivision plan, which may include:

  • roads
  • reserve land
  • public utility parcels

The plan must show all of the information required by the act, to define the boundaries of the new parcels.

After the plan is registered, the current titles are cancelled (in full or in part) and new titles are given to the registered owners. Titles to reserves and public utility parcels are given to the municipality, while no titles are issued for roads.

Subdivision plans don’t affect the ownership of mines and mineral rights.

Condominium Plan

What is it

A condominium is separate ownership of a space or unit within a building or on bare land within a parcel.

In a building, the boundaries of the units are defined by reference to the floors, walls and ceilings. For a bare land unit, the boundaries are defined by reference to monuments placed in accordance with the Surveys Act.

The common property is the part of the parcel shown in a condominium plan that is not in a unit and is owned by the owners of all the units as tenants-in-common. The shares for each owner are proportional to the shares for their units. There is no separate title issued for common property created by the registration of a condominium plan.

Registering a condominium plan cancels the existing certificate of title for the parcel described in the plan (except for mines and minerals) and separate certificates of title are created for each unit described in the plan.

Registering a condominium plan also creates a condominium corporation. The corporation includes all unit owners, and its powers and duties are performed by an elected board of directors. The corporation is regulated by its by-laws. The by-laws provide for control, management and administration of the units, the real and personal property of the corporation and the common property. If no Change of By-Laws is registered, then the by-laws prescribed by the Condominium Property Act apply.

Descriptive Plans

What is it

A plan of survey typically describes land by monuments placed in the ground. Historically in limited circumstances, a parcel could be created through a metes and bounds description. A descriptive plan describes land boundaries by reference to:

  • sections in the surveyed Alberta Township System (ATS)
  • registered survey plans

The Registrar is authorized to accept descriptive plans to create new parcels.

Strata Plan

What is it

A strata plan is a plan subdividing measurements of volume space into strata spaces. Instead of defining by physical boundaries, like in a condominium plan, strata plans are defined by planes or curved surfaces having defined geodetic elevation. Mines and minerals are exempted from the plan.

Right of Way and Related Site Plans

What is it

A plan of survey for an easement or right of way can be registered for:

  • an undertaking that requires a right of way
  • a railway or other purpose not covered by the Land Titles Act, but approved by the Registrar, such as:
    • a plan requiring a road closure by-law, lease or restrictive covenant
    • a plan showing a body of water (lake, river, etc.) to amend the legal description in a certificate of title due to a change in natural boundary

The registration of this type of plan does not affect the certificate of title to the land shown on the plan, or convey any interest or rights to any person.

Road Plans

What is it

The provincial government or municipalities can register a survey of area for public purposes, such as:

  • new roads
  • road widening
  • diversion and drainage ditches

When a municipality or the Crown gets land for public purposes (such as a road) by an agreement with the owner, title to the land is issued to the municipality or the Crown. A plan of survey is then filed at the Land Titles Office. A transfer of land is not required.

Titles to mines and minerals are not affected.

Contact this service

780-427-2742 (Edmonton)

403-297-6511 (Calgary)

8:15 am - 4:00 pm (Monday to Friday,
closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Spatial Information System

Air Photo Services

Digital Submission of Survey Plans

Land Titles Procedures Manual

Alberta Land Surveyors Association