Ordering a Birth Document
The Government of Alberta keeps a record of all registered births that take place in Alberta and can only issue birth documents for these births.
Before you Apply
- Decide which document you would like to order; and
- Make sure you are eligible to order the document.
How to Apply
- If you are ordering from within Alberta:
- Complete the Application for Ordering Birth, Stillbirth and Marriage Documents (pdf).
- Take the completed form and your government issued identification to a registry agent office.
To find a registry agent office by phone, call 780-427-7013 (Edmonton area). Or call 310-0000 (toll free), then dial 780-427-7013.
- If you are ordering from outside Alberta:
- Complete the Registry Connect Application for Certificate / Documents (pdf).
- Take your government issued identification to a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oaths to complete the Statutory Declaration for Proof of Identity.
- Mail or courier the original form and Statutory Declaration for Proof of Identity to Registry Connect.
- You will need to pay a fee for the birth document you order.
- Documents must be paid for at the time of ordering.
- Registry agents and Registry Connect may also charge a service fee.
- It usually takes two to three business days to complete a request after a registry agent or Registry Connect submits it.
- If information is missing, the application may be delayed.