Buying a Used Vehicle
Some resources available to buyers of a used vehicle include:
- The Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) (external site) provides a web based service for the consumer to check for a stolen vehicle.
- Check with your insurance company to see if there are any reports of the vehicle being stolen.
- Vehicle history searches through private vendors such as Carproof (external site) or Carfax (external site). Check with your local registry agent as some will obtain these searches on your behalf. These searches typically include vehicle history from other jurisdictions in North America.
- A Vehicle Information Report (VIR) can be purchased from your local registry agent. The VIR includes vehicle status, registration history in Alberta, odometer readings when available and if there is a lien on the vehicle.
- Vehicle lien search of the Personal Property Registry can be purchased from your local registry agent for detailed lien information.
Additional information about used vehicles can be found on the following web sites:
- Canada -Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC) (external site)
- Canada - Consumer Information
- Canada - Autotheft Canada (external site)
- Canada - Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) (external site)
- Canada – Registrar of Imported Vehicles (external site)
- Canada - Transport Canada (external site)
- United States - National Insurance Crime Bureau (external site)
- United States - National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (external site)