Common Vehicle Registration Services

Veterans' Licence Plates 

The Government of Alberta introduced a special veterans' licence plate in 2005 and a motorcycle veterans' licence plate in 2012 to honour the contributions of Alberta veterans.

Veterans' licence plates can be used on vehicles with passenger class registration, such as passenger cars, SUVs, station wagons, minivans, motor homes, light trucks and motorcycles. The plates are also available for farm vehicles with class 2 commercial registration.

Veterans who are eligible for the special licence plate have three payment options:

  1. Pay the plate exchange fee,
  2. Renew the vehicle registration ahead of the regularly scheduled renewal date and pay only the cost of the vehicle registration renewal (the plate exchange fee will not be charged when doing an early registration renewal)
  3. Renew the vehicle registration at the regularly scheduled renewal date and pay the cost of the next annual vehicle registration (the plate exchange fee will not be charged when doing a regular registration renewal)

For fee information, please refer to the Registry Agent Product Catalogue (pdf).

Eligible veterans can obtain the plates from their local registry agent. More information and application forms are available through the:

Personalized Licence Plates

A personalized licence plate (also known as vanity plates) can have up to seven characters, either letters or numbers. Personalized plates can be issued for almost every registration class except Dealer, Antique or Disabled. Alberta Registries reserves the right to reject requests for personalized plates for any reason, which includes discriminitory statement, sexual connotation, foul language, reference to alcohol, controlled substances or paraphernalia, configuration used on standard issue licence plates or any configuration and is deemed offensive.

To order a personalized plate, you must visit a registry agent office. Payment for the plate must be made when placing the order. You will be required to provide your driver's licence number. You will also be required to decide where the licence plate should be mailed. If you would like to order a personalized plate as a gift, some registry agents may offer a gift card or certificate that can be purchased.

The ordering process will take between six-to-eight weeks.For fee information, see registry agent's Product Catalogue (pdf). Please see this information sheet for more details.

Intransit Permit

To move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another in Canada, you must provide proof of ownership if the vehicle is being moved outside of Alberta, proof of valid insurance, and a description of the vehicle including the make, year and serial number. A time-limited permit may be issued to permit the movement of the vehicle without registration. For fee information, see registry agent's Product Catalogue (pdf). Permits are not valid outside of Canada.

Vehicle Seizures

Under the Vehicle Seizure Program, drivers stopped by a peace officer and found to have their operator's licence suspended will have the vehicle they were driving seized and impounded for a period of 30 days. If the vehicle seizure involves the same suspended driver and owner within a three-year window, the seizure period is 60 days.

More information on the Alberta Vehicle Seizure Program is available on the Transportation Safety Board including a Vehicle Seizure Program fact sheet that will provide you with some important information about the review process. Please read this carefully before purchasing an Application for Hearing form from an Alberta registry agent.

Lost/Stolen Plates or Tabs (Year Stickers)

If you wish to declare your licence plates lost or stolen and require no replacement, you should report the loss to the police and visit a registry agent office to fill out a licence plate declaration form. To replace your lost or stolen plate, year sticker or registration, you will be required to provide your operator’s (drivers) licence or two pieces of identification as well provide your licence plate number to a Registry Agent and pay the required fee.

Canceling a Registration

To cancel your licence plates and registration, you must visit a registry agent office. You will be required to surrender your registration, plates and stickers as well as provide identification verifying that you are the registrant. The prorated unused portion of the original registration fee (if any) will be refunded by mail minus a $10.00 (plus GST) cancelation fee. Clients are responsible for paying the agent service fee (plus GST).

If you move to another province and surrender your licence plate to the other jurisdiction, you may request in writing to a registry agent that your registration be canceled and the refund (if any) be mailed to you. The agent service fee must be included with your request. A $10.00 (plus GST) cancelation fee will be deducted from your refund amount (if any) automatically. The other jurisdiction can provide you with written verification (please include with your request) that you have surrendered the plate. If they do not take the plate, you may send the plate and registration with your request and payment for cancelation to the registry agent.

Transferring a Registration

To transfer your existing vehicle registration to another vehicle, you must visit a registry agent office. You will need to provide acceptable identification, proof of ownership for the vehicle you are transferring the registration to, and proof of valid insurance for the vehicle.

In addition to the above requirements, if the vehicle was purchased from outside Alberta, the vehicle must be physically in Alberta and have either an out-of-province inspection, a salvage inspection or a commercial vehicle inspection. Your registry agent will review the documentation and provide you with the appropriate inspection request form that you must take to a licenced inspection facility. Inspection facilities and other information about the vehicle inspection program can be found here.

Vehicles that are exempt from obtaining an inspection include off-highway vehicles, prorated vehicles and trailers. Other exemptions that may be available; dealer owned demonstrator vehicles, new vehicles from a jurisdiction within Canada (including Alberta), used vehicles from a jurisdiction within Canada (including Alberta) and new vehicles from a jurisdiction outside Canada. Each of these exemptions has their own requirements that must be met in order to qualify. Your registry agent can assist you in determining if you fall into one of these categories.

The Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation (OLVCR) of the Traffic Safety Act section 86 allows a client to use a valid licence plate/registration from an existing vehicle on a newly acquired vehicle for up to a maximum of 14 days from the date on the ownership document(s), e.g. bill of sale. The owner must register the newly acquired vehicle with that licence plate being displayed on the vehicle on or before the 14 day grace period has expired.  During this grace period, the operator must be able to present to law enforcement, if requested;

1. proof of ownership document for the vehicle
2. valid proof of insurance ‘pink card’ relating to the vehicle
3. proof of valid registration for the licence plate being transferred to the vehicle
Please Note:
  • The 14 day grace period allowed for the transfer of licence plate/registration does not apply to insurance documents. You must check with your insurance company or broker for insurance requirements and coverage information.
  • The 14 day grace period for transferring of licence plates does not apply if the vehicle is a commercial vehicle used for the transportation of goods or passengers for compensation.

Vehicle Information Report

A Vehicle Information Report (VIR) provides information about a vehicle’s registration history in Alberta. The report is produced using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). A VIN is the unique serial number assigned to every vehicle by the manufacturer or the Insurance Bureau of Canada's assigned VIN program. An accurate and complete VIN must be provided to complete a VIR request.

The information contained in the VIR includes:

  • The date and time of the report
  • Vehicle description - year, make, model, style, colour, fuel type, odometer reading if available
  • Vehicle status - active, salvage, non-repairable, unsafe, rebuilt, etc.
  • Vehicle registration - date vehicle first entered on system, licence plate classification, registration history date and location (no personal information for any current or previous owner is shown, including licence plate numbers)
  • Lien information - provides the number of liens and other related instruments which are registered in the province of Alberta and associated with the serial number (detailed information, such as the secured party and the party to whom the money is owed, can be determined by purchasing a separate Personal Property lien search)

The VIR ONLY shows information from the Alberta Motor Vehicle System. It does not include any information from other provinces or countries where the vehicle may have been registered. To obtain these types of broader searches, please ask your registry agent about other service providers specializing in these types of reports.