Travel Documents and Identification

As of June 1, 2009, Canadian and U.S. citizens are required to present additional documents to cross the borders by land or sea. These documents may include a Passport (used for travel/identification), NEXUS Card (used for travel/identification) or the FAST/EXPRESS Card for drivers, carriers and importers (used for land and sea travel). If you are a Canadian Citizen, you may also apply for a Citizenship Certificate (use for additional identification/proof of legal presence). Your Alberta driver's licence is only intended to verify your driving privileges. It is not intended to act as an identification document. Ensure you have appropriate federal identification with you. Visit the following sites for more detailed information:

If you do not have photo identification for domestic travel, there are other options available.
For specific policies relating to air travel and identification, please see the Air Canada and WestJet websites (external sites).

International Driving Permit

The International Driving Permit (IDP) allows motorists to drive vehicles in international traffic without further tests or applications. It is proof that the holder possesses a valid driver's licence issued by a competent authority in their country of residence. The Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) (external site) has been granted sole issuing rights of the International Driving Permit (IDP) by the Canadian federal and provincial governments. Albertans can apply at their local Alberta Motor Association (AMA) office (external site). For more information see the AMA's IDP webpage (external site).