Employment Agency Licence

How it works


Employment Agency Business means the business of securing persons for employment, securing employment for persons or evaluating or testing persons for employers who are seeking employees.

Licensing Requirements

Note:  Failure to provide complete information will delay processing of your application and may result in a refund of your fees and closure of your file.

Frequently Asked Questions on the Employment Agency business Licensing Regulation.

To get a licence for an employment agency business you must provide a complete application package including all of the following:

  • Completed application form (pdf)

  • Original, signed security, in the amount of $25,000* is required for any international employment agency recruiting NOC B, C, or D employees. You may get this security in one of two ways:

    • General Surety Bond 

    • Cash Security Agreement accompanied by:

      • An Irrevocable Letter of Credit, or

      • Cash (including payment by bank draft, money order, certified cheque – all of these are payable to the Government of Alberta), or

      • A term deposit or other similar instrument in the name of the Government of Alberta, c/o Service Alberta, 3rd Floor, 10155 102 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4L4, in trust for (name of licensee)

    Note: In accordance with the Security agreement, the security provided will be held for two (2) years after the agreement expires or for two years and three months (27 months) from the date the business licence expires or the business closes or longer in the event of a claim being received. The amount of security given is a minimum security requirement. The amount could increase at the discretion of the Director of Fair Trading. When setting the security amount, the Director can consider the following: the department’s previous history with the business and its partners or directors, the business’s financial history, and criminal convictions.

    For more information on the National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes, please visit the Government of Canada website at: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/home.aspx.

    • A licensing fee of $120 (Note: Your cheque should be made payable to the Government of Alberta.  If you are applying in person, you can also pay this fee using Visa, MasterCard, Debit or cash.  This fee is for a two-year licence. Licences take effect the date they are issued. It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business as defined for this type of licence. Once your licence is issued please make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.  Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing if their business licence address changes.)
    • Two agreements which meet the requirements of Section 10 of the Employment Agency Business Licensing Regulation:
      • A copy of the agreement between the employment agency and employer; and
      • A copy of the agreement between the employment agency and person seeking employment
    • If any of the applicants or directors are outside of Canada, a security check from their country of residence will be required (this security check must be done in accordance with the standards set out by Immigration and Citizenship Canada)

              Other Requirements

              • The employment agency agreement must conform to the requirements set out in section 10 of the Employment Agency Businesses Licensing Regulation.

              • Section 13 of the Employment Agency Businesses Licensing Regulation identifies what services an employment agency can charge to individuals seeking employment.

              • The rules about sending employees or potential employees to businesses affected by strike or lockout are found in the Employment Agency Businesses Licensing Regulation, Section 15.


              Consumer Protection Act

              Employment Agency Business Licensing Regulation

              Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Queen’s Printer Bookstore at:

              Park Plaza, 5th floor
              10611-98 Avenue
              Edmonton, Alberta   T5K 2P7
              Telephone: 780-427-4952

              To call a Government of Alberta office toll free (in Alberta), dial 310-0000 and follow the instructions.

                                      Related services

                                      Problems opening PDF forms?

                                      If your web browser does not open the PDF form, download the form then open the saved PDF using Adobe Reader.  To do this:

                                      • Right-click on the form link and select "Save Target As"
                                      • Save the file to a known location on your system
                                      • Open the file with Adobe Reader

                                      NOTE:  In some cases you may need to click on the "Enable All Features" button in Adobe Reader

                                      Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers may need to be configured to work with PDFs.

                                      To open the PDF forms, you’ll need to use the current version of Adobe Reader.