This site/application may experience periodic outages and/or slow response time from Nov. 9 at 10 p.m. to Nov. 11 at 5 p.m. due to planned maintenance. Thank you for your understanding.

Register a personal property lien

Types of liens

The type of lien depends on how the interest is registered.

Security for goods

Sale of Goods/Factors Act

PPSA Security Agreement


Receiver’s Report

  • a notice of a financial statement, final account or final report of the receiver’s administration when they take over a business
  • Financing Statement Form (PDF, 1 page)


Garage Keepers’ Lien

  • a garage keeper can register a lien against an owner’s vehicle for repairs, parts or storage that haven’t been paid for
  • Financing Statement form (PDF, 1 page)


Maintenance Order

  • an order or interim order from a court in Alberta for child, spousal and partner support
  • Financing Statement form (PDF, 1 page)

Crown Charge

  • a lien, charge or other interest of the Crown created by any law in force in Canada
  • Financing Statement form (PDF, 1 page)

Writ of Enforcement

Writ of Seizure and Sale (Federal Writ)

  • federal judgment registered in the Personal Property Registry System to enable the creditor to take enforcement activity.
  • Financing Statement form (PDF, 1 page)

Court Order

Statutory Charge

  • a lien charge or other interest that affects property and is created under an enactment in force in Alberta
  • Financing Statement Form (PDF, 1 page)


Attachment Order

Matrimonial Property Order

  • an interest of a spouse given exclusive possession of a mobile home or household goods, granted by a court
  • Financing Statement Form (PDF, 1 page)

Land Charge

  • an interest in real property of a corporation that secures payment or completion of an action in place of payment
  • Financing Statement Form (PDF, 1 page)

Property under possession, service or labour

You can claim a lien against personal property that has been left under someone’s possession, such as a rented storage facility, or if you have performed labour or service on it and have not been compensated.

There is no requirement to register these types of liens in the Personal Property Registry System.

Possessory Liens

  • a lien can be claimed on personal property, owner or keeper of a wharf, or a bailee who stores goods for a fee 
  • The Possessory Liens Act

Warehousemen’s Lien

  • any person who stores goods as a bailee for hire can claim a lien against those goods for non-payment of fees for storage
  • The Warehousemen’s Lien Act

Woodmen’s Lien

  • any person who has provided labour or service in relation to logs or timber in Alberta can claim a lien for the amount of any unpaid wages
  • The Woodmen’s Lien Act

Note: To download a PDF document, right-click and select 'save as' and save to your computer.

Contact this service


8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)