Charitable organizations that raise or intend to raise $25,000 or more per year and all fund-raising businesses must give specific solicitation information to each donor. For in-person solicitations, this information must be given before accepting a donation.
The solicitation script must include the following information:
- the name of the charitable organization the donation is being requested for
- the charitable purpose contributions will be used for
- the cost of fundraising and how much the charitable organization expects to raise
- the address of the charitable organization and, if incorporated, the place of incorporation
- the name and phone number of a contact person employed by the charitable organization whom the donor can call for further information
If a fund-raising business is used to solicit donations, a potential donor must also be told:
- the operating name and full legal name of the fund-raising business
- how pay for the fund-raising business is determined
All new applicants will be required to submit a copy of the solicitation materials and scripts that will be used to solicit funds. It is a serious offence to make a false statement or to misrepresent any fact or circumstance in a solicitation for a charitable donation.
In this section
Contact this service
(Edmonton and area)
(toll free in Alberta))
8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)