Driver's Licence

How it works

Find out how to get a driver’s licence in Alberta.

Potential Postal Strike: Please click HERE for important information.

Alberta has 7 classes of driver’s licences, ranging from a Class 7 learner’s licence to a Class 1 professional licence. The class that you need will depend on your level of experience and the type of vehicle you want to drive.

New drivers must follow some steps before they can legally drive in the province.

Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL)

New drivers must go through the GDL program to get the support, skills, and experience they need to earn a full Class 5 licence.

If you have held a Class 7 learner’s licence for at least 1 year, are 16 years of age and older and have passed a Class 5 basic road test, you may join the GDL program.

While driving with a Class 5-GDL licence, the following rules apply:

  • each passenger must wear a seatbelt
  • a GDL licence will be suspended at 8 demerit points
  • blood alcohol level of the driver must be 0 percent
  • class 1, 2, 3, or 4 licence upgrades are not allowed 
  • a GDL driver cannot be the accompanying driver to a learner

To upgrade from a GDL licence to a full Class 5 licence, you must:

  • be 18 years of age and older
  • pass an advanced road test
  • hold a probationary driver’s licence – Class 5-GDL – for at least 2 years
  • have no suspensions in your last year before applying for a full driver’s licence (a suspension will increase the time you must remain in the GDL program)
  • pass a Class 5 or Class 6 Advanced Road Test.

Types of licences

Alberta has seven classes of driver’s licences: 

Class 1 - Professional

Allows you to drive:

  • any motor vehicle other than a motorcycle
  • a motorcycle as a learner.

Class 2 – Professional (bus)

Allows you to drive:

  • any motor vehicle that the holder of a Class 3, 4 or 5 driver’s licence is allowed to drive
  • a bus
  • a Class 1 or 6 vehicle as a learner.

Class 3 – Professional (3 axles or more)

Allows you to drive:

  • any motor vehicle that the holder of a Class 5 licence may drive
  • a single motor vehicle with 3 or more axles
  • a motor vehicle with 3 or more axles that is towing a trailer with one or more axles (if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes)
  • a Class 2 or 4 type vehicle without passengers  (bus, taxi, ambulance)
  • a Class 1, 2 or 6 vehicle as a learner

You may not drive:

  • a vehicle that can seat more than 15 people including the driver
  • that transports passengers for hire

Class 4 – Professional (taxi, ambulance)

Allows you to drive:

  • a taxi, ambulance or bus (including a school or kindergarten bus) that seats fewer than 25 people including the driver
  • all motor vehicles included under Class 5
  • a Class 1, 2, 3 or 6 vehicle as a learner

Class 5 Full, Class 5-GDL – 2 axle, car, light truck, motor home, or moped

Allows you to:

  • drive a two-axle single motor vehicle
  • drive a motorhome without airbrakes unless you hold an air brake certificate
  • tow a trailer with one or more axles if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes
  • drive a moped, a recreational vehicle, or any combination of recreational vehicles and a trailer, if the trailer has two axles or less, and isn’t equipped with airbrakes

*see Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) for specific restrictions if you hold a Class-5 GDL.

Class 6 – Motorcycle & moped

Allows you to drive:

  • a motorcycle or moped
  • all other motor vehicles under class 5 as a learner.

If you already have a Class 5 driver’s licence, you’ll need to take a Class 6 knowledge and road tests.

If you don’t already hold a Class 5, you’ll need to complete all the requirements of a Class 7, pass a Class 6 road test, and be placed in the GDL program before you can get a full Class 6 licence.

Class 7 – Learners

Allows you to drive:

  • a moped
  • other class 5 or 6 vehicles as a learner

Licence suspensions

Drivers guilty of a crime involving the use or control of a motor vehicle may have their licence suspended or disqualified.

It is illegal to drive with a licence that has been suspended or disqualified. 

Licenced drivers who have a demerit suspension can apply for a restricted licence. The Restricted Operator’s Licence Program helps people who need to drive for employment, health, or educational reasons while they are serving a demerit suspension. Certain restrictions and eligibility requirements apply. Drivers in the GDL program are not eligible.