Driver's Licence

Am I eligible?

Find out if you can apply for an Alberta driver’s licence.

To get an Alberta driver’s licence, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, a Canadian permanent resident, hold a valid work visa, and/or have an approved refugee claim from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
  • live in Alberta
  • have valid government issued ID with photo
  • if you’re under 18, you must have written consent from your parents or guardian

For certain types of licences, you must meet other requirements:

  • Class 7 learner licence – you must be at least 14 years old
  • Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence – you must be at least 16 years old and have written consent from your parents or guardian
  • Alberta Class 1-4 professional driver’s licence – you must be at least 18 years old

Residency and ID requirements

To get an Alberta driver’s licence, you’ll need:

  1. photo ID
  2. proof of residence in Canada
  3. proof that you are an Alberta resident 

Visit the Residency and ID requirements page to find out what types of documents you need.

Temporary residents

Temporary residents are people who don’t live in Alberta permanently. This includes visitors from other countries or Canadian provinces, students, and temporary foreign workers.

Visitors from another country

If you are visiting Alberta with a valid driver’s licence (equal to or higher than a Class 5) from your home country, you may drive a standard passenger vehicle in Alberta for up to 1 year.

If your licence is not in English, it is strongly recommended that you carry an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from your home country. You must carry both the International Driver’s Permit and your valid licence from your home country when driving in Alberta.

Canadians from another province

Canadians working temporarily in Alberta can drive using your provincial driver’s licence if you continue to live in your home province for more than 6 months each year.


Students can continue using your licence from your home province or territory if you are:

Temporary foreign workers

Temporary foreign workers come to Alberta to meet labour needs during peak periods. These workers are not classed as Alberta residents and may not get an Alberta driver’s licence.

If you are a temporary foreign worker, you may drive in Alberta if you carry all of the following documents:

  • original copy of a work permit or visa
  • valid driver's licence from your home country
  • International Driver's Permit (if your driver’s licence is not in English)

Contact this service

780-427-7013, toll free dial 310-0000 first in Alberta

8:15 am - 4:30 pm, Mon - Fri. Closed statutory holidays.