Changing a name

How it works

Find out how to legally change your name in Alberta.

Name changes that don’t require a legal change of name

Not all changes to a name require a legal change of name through the government.

Married last name

You don’t have to change your name after getting married. You may use a married last name.

Married last name

Correcting information

If you were born in Alberta, correcting an error on a birth record may be done with an amendment rather than a legal change of name. If you were not born in Alberta, you must request an amendment in the jurisdiction you were born in.

Correcting a birth record

Change in parents

If you’re changing the parentage on a child's Alberta birth record, you can change the child’s name at the same time if the child is younger than 18-years-old.

Contact Vital Statistics for more information about amending parentage, since these issues can be complex.

Restrictions for a new name

There are restrictions when choosing a new legal name. The new name:

  • must contain a first and last name
  • must use the English alphabet
  • can’t contain:
    • numbers
    • non-letter characters
    • profanity
  • can contain the following punctuation marks:
    • period (.)
    • hyphen (-)
    • apostrophe (')

A name can also be refused if it:

  • causes confusion
  • embarrasses a person
  • defrauds or misleads the public
  • is offensive on any other grounds


You’ll need to pay a government fee of $120 for the legal change of name.

  • this fee is for all the name changes on one application form

There is a fingerprinting fee. Contact fingerprinting agencies to confirm the cost as fees vary.

Registry agents will also charge a service fee. Contact a registry agent as service fees vary.

After you apply

Change of Name Certificate

A Change of Name Certificate with the new name will be mailed to you.

Birth/Marriage certificates

If you surrendered Alberta birth certificates, they’ll be replaced free of charge showing the new name.

If you didn’t surrender any Alberta birth certificates, you may purchase new ones from a registry agent.

If you were born outside of Alberta, you must contact the Vital Statistics office in the jurisdiction in which the birth took place for new certificates.

If you want to amend your marriage record with the new legal name

  • and the marriage took place in Alberta, contact Alberta Vital Statistics for an amendment.
  • and the marriage took place outside Alberta, contact the Vital Statistics office in the jurisdiction in which you were married for their processes.

Contact this service

780-427-7013 (Edmonton)

310-0000, then
780-427-7013 (toll-free in Alberta)

8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Find a registry agent

Alberta Gazette

Find an Alberta Court of Queen's Bench