Licence plates

Types of licence plates

Alberta issues different types of licence plates and permits.

Alberta issues a variety of standard licence plates, such as commercial, dealer, farm, motorcycle, off-highway, passenger and trailer.

Alberta also issues a number of specialty licence plates, such as antique, consular corps, disabled, ham radio, personalized, support our troops and veteran.

For short-term registrations we offer an in-transit permit.


An antique passenger or motorcycle plate is available for vehicles or motorcycles that are 25 years old or more and will be only used in the following ways:

  • as a collector’s item in exhibitions
  • in club activities
  • in parades
  • as transportation to and from these events
  • as transportation to servicing appointments

To get an antique plate, you must meet the following criteria:

  • provide acceptable identification
  • the vehicle must be a minimum of 25 years old
  • if it’s imported, you need an import form
  • have proof of ownership
  • if the vehicle is from outside Alberta, you have a vehicle inspection

Consular corps

Consular corps plates are issued to diplomats that are serving in Alberta on behalf of their country.

Consular Corps plates can only be issued by one of the Motor Vehicles District offices in Calgary or Edmonton. To book an appointment call:

  • Calgary district office: 403-267-6461
  • Edmonton district office: 780-422-3987

Ham radio operator

Ham radio operator plates can be issued to Albertans who have a valid Amateur Radio Operator Certificate issued by Industry Canada.

Ham radio operator plates bear the ham radio operator’s call sign shown on their Amateur Radio Operator Certificate. Canadian ham radio operator call signs have a national prefix for each province that has 2 letters and a number. They also have the 2 or 3 letter suffix of your call sign.

Alberta’s assigned prefixes are:

  • VA6
  • VE6

Albertans may request personalized veterans’ plates displaying their ham radio operator call letters if it doesn’t have more than 5 total characters.

If you’re moving to Alberta from another jurisdiction, you cannot use the prefix from the other jurisdiction. Your plate will be printed with the Alberta prefix and your call sign.

To obtain you Alberta ham radio operator’s plate, you need:

  • acceptable identification
  • a valid Amateur Radio Operator Certificate


A personalized plate cannot be requested for dealer, antique, consular corps or disabled plates.

Your plate must follow these guidelines:

  • must be letters and/or numbers – special characters are not permitted,including - (hyphen), ’ (apostrophe), ! (exclamation mark), ? (question mark)
  • have a minimum of 1 character and/or a maximum of 7 characters for regular plates
  • have a minimum of 1 character and/or a maximum of 5 characters for motorcycle plates
  • have a minimum of 1 character and/or a maximum of 5 characters (for veteran plate (3-pass, 2-58 and ham radio operator plates)

Personalized plates are issued on a first come first served basis. Plate configurations cannot be reserved.

There are also restrictions on what you can have on your personalized plate:

  • can’t be a look-alike or similar plate to one that already exists.
  • can’t use the letter O, only a 0 (zero) may be used
  • no ethnic slurs.
  • no religious slurs.
  • no foul language
  • no sexual connotations
  • no political slurs
  • no illegal acts
  • no text that may cause identification problems, such as MLA, Mayor, Doctor, etc.
  • no text message abbreviation that may be offensive.
  • no words when translated are offensive.
  • no reference to alcoholic beverages, controlled substances or paraphernalia used in the consumption of these
  • must not be a configuration used by Motor Vehicles for regular licence plates

You may request a change to your personalized plate after the order is placed, within the first 90 days to:

  • cancel and refund – you must return both unused licence plates
  • exchange the unused plate for a new configuration

A personalized licence plate can only be transferred:

  • to an immediate family member, such as mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, common-law spouse and in-laws.
  • between a company and the company owner, when the person is the only owner of the company.

Once a personalized licence plate is issued, you don’t pay any additional fees to retain the special plate. You only pay the standard vehicle registration renewal fee.

Ride for Hire Services

The Government of Alberta has implemented a framework to allow Transportation Network Companies to operate in a fair manner and ensure the safety of all road users. Drivers for these companies must register their vehicle with a class 1-55 commercial licence plate. This plate allows the vehicle to operate both commercially to carry passengers as well as operate as a private passenger vehicle when not being used for the commercial transportation of passengers.

If you are going to start driving for one of these companies, you have two options:

  1. you can ask a registry agent to exchange your passenger registration for a class 1 commercial (1-55) registration, your existing expiry date will not change.
  2. you may cancel your passenger registration and receive a refund in the mail (less 10.00 cancelation fee) for any unused portion of your passenger registration fee. Then you may request registration for the commercial plate.

Note that the first option is the most economical as you can avoid the cancellation fee and the extra agent service fee. For fees please see the Government and Registry Agent Fee Catalogue under Related Services.

For detailed information on this program, please see Alberta Transportation's website.

Support our troops

The Government of Alberta introduced the special Support Our Troops licence plate in 2014. The Support Our Troops licence plate honours current and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

The majority of the revenue from the sale of this plate will go towards the Support Our Troops Program managed by the Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services.

The design features artwork in honour of the first 4 Alberta-based Canadian soldiers whose lives were lost in Afghanistan in April 2002.

The plate is available for a one-time fee of $75 plus a $9 (plus GST) registry agent service charge.

This plate is only available for passenger vehicles used for personal transportation only.

To purchase this plate, you must show ID with an Alberta address.

You cannot choose the letters and numbers on the Support Our Troops plate. They are issued in sequential order and mailed directly from the manufacturer.

The Support Our Troops plate doesn’t replace the veterans licence plate and you cannot exchange a veterans licence plate for a Support Our Troops plate.

Unlike the veteran plate, anyone can order the Support Our Troops plate.


The Government of Alberta introduced a special veterans' licence plate in 2005 and a motorcycle veterans' licence plate in 2012 to honour the contributions of Alberta veterans.

The Royal Canadian Legion (RCL), Alberta/NWT Command must approve all applications before you can be issued a veterans plate. Once you have an approved application form from the legion, you may request the plate from your local registry agent.

An Application for a Veterans' Licence Plate can be obtained from:

Alberta/NWT Command Veterans’ Plate
The Royal Canadian Legion
2020 15th Street NW
Calgary, Alberta T2M 3N8


The Royal Canadian Legion’s website.

Standard veteran licence plates or veterans personalized licence plates can be used on:

  • passenger vehicles
  • commercial farm vehicles
  • motorcycles
  • ham radio operators

Veterans’ licence plates cannot be used on:

  • commercial vehicles (except commercial farm)
  • Trailers.
  • Off-highway vehicles.

When the veteran passes away, the veterans' licence plate may be retained only as a memento but can no longer be used on a vehicle.

In-transit permit

Alberta doesn’t have a temporary licence plate but we can issue a temporary vehicle registration permit in some situations.

An in-transit permit allows a person to move a vehicle or trailer that doesn’t have a valid vehicle registration and licence plate.

The in-transit permit can be used in the following situations:

  • to move the vehicle between 2 points in Canada
  • to tow a vehicle
  • for demonstration/test drive purposes,
  • for repairs and servicing
  • for inspection purposes.

The in-transit permit is issued for a specific term:

  • moving from point A to B (for a maximum of 3 days within Alberta, or a maximum of 7 days out of province)
  • towing (for a maximum of 3 days within Alberta, or a maximum of 7 days out of province)
  • for car dealership demonstration/test drive purposes (for a maximum of 7 days)
  • repairs/servicing (for a maximum of 7 days)
  • salvage vehicles (for a maximum of 24 hours)

When you’re moving the vehicle from one province to another, the starting point or ending point must be in Alberta.

Request an in-transit permit

To request an in-transit permit when using it in Alberta only, you need the following documents:

  • identification
  • proof of insurance

To request an in-transit permit when using inside and outside of Alberta, you need the following documents:

  • identification
  • proof of insurance
  • proof of ownership

When an unregistered vehicle or trailer is carrying a load, a load licensing permit is needed in addition to the in-transit permit. Please see Alberta Transportation’s website for more information.