Register a personal property lien

Register or change an interest

Register an interest in the Personal Property Registry.

What’s important to know

Ensure that the information on the form is accurate. Inaccurate information may invalidate the registration.

Register an interest

Fill out the form for the type of lien you wish to register and drop it off at a registry agent.

Find a registry agent

Some interests must be registered within specific time frames. You should allow adequate lead time for processing by a registry agent if there are any legislative time limits for registration.

After you submit your statement

The registry agent will review the financing statement. If the information is complete and acceptable, it will be updated onto the Alberta Personal Property Registry Electronic System (APPRES). A verification statement will be generated by the system as proof of registration.

You must ensure there are sufficient grounds for registration and that the registration is made in good faith. A failure to comply with this obligation could lead to a claim by any person suffering damages as a result of the registration.

Check your verification statement carefully to make sure all information has been recorded accurately. If errors are detected, have the error amended immediately on APPRES. The verification statement can be used to renew or discharge your registration.

Change a registration

A registration can be:

  • amended (add or delete details)
  • renewed (extend the expiry date)
  • amended and renewed (add/delete and renew at the same time)
  • discharged (remove from the system once the debt has been paid)

Debtor, secured party and collateral information may also be changed if the registration is current on APPRES.

1. Fill out the forms

Use the Financing Change Statement (PDF, 1 page) and if necessary any of the following to make changes or renew a registration:

Writs and Orders

Use the Status Report (PDF, 1 page) and Status Report Addendum (PDF, 1 page) (if needed) to make changes to

  • Writ of Enforcement
  • Writ of Seizure and Sale (Federal Writ)
  • Maintenance Order

Other liens

Use the Garage Keepers’ Lien Financing Change Statement (PDF, 1 page) to renew and/or make changes to a Garage Keepers’ Lien.

A court order required to renew and/or make changes.

Additional forms

These forms may be used to record additional detail on a lien or on a change to a lien:

The following forms are used to meet certain requirements:

Global financing change statement

By using a Global Financing Change Statement, secured parties, solicitor/agents or civil enforcement agents can update registration information to reflect changes to secured party/solicitor/agent/civil enforcement agent name and/or address information.

The Global Financing Change Statement can only be used if the secured party/solicitor/agent/civil enforcement agent has used a secured party code. For more information about the Global Financing Change Statement, call 780-427-0506 or contact by e-mail.

Global Financing Change Statement (PDF, 1 page)

2. Send the forms

Submit the forms to a registry agent for registration in APPRES.

Find a registry agent

Changes or corrections are only effective from the date that the amendment is registered in APPRES.

Other lien types

Some lien types allow a party to claim a lien against personal property that has been left in their possession or that they have performed labour or service on, there is no requirement to register these types of liens in the Personal Property Registry System:

Civil Enforcement Registrations

Civil Enforcement Agents perform seizure, sale and distribute funds from civil enforcement activity.  These registrations are performed for their business needs:

  • Attachment Order (PDF, 1 page)
  • Report of Seizure
  • Sale of Seized Property
  • Sale Proceeds Distribution
  • Sale of Land

These civil enforcement agents provide services province wide:

Allied Shortridge Civil Enforcement Agency Inc
Phone: 1-800-643-3171 (toll-free)

Alternative Bailiff Services Ltd
Phone: 1-866-643-0900 (toll-free)

Consolidated Civil Enforcement Inc
Phone: 1-800-313-4270 (toll-free)

1216808 Alberta Ltd o/a Prairie Bailiff Services
Phone:  1-855-883-1012 (toll-free)

Serv-It Bailiff Services Inc.
Phone: 1-866-424-9020 (toll-free)

Stewart Belland and Associates Inc
Phone:  1-877-465-9725 (toll-free)

Western Civil Enforcement Agency Inc
Phone:  1-877-707-7376 (toll-free)

Contact this service


8:15 am - 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Related services

Personal Property Security Act