Marriage Officiants

Contacting a Marriage Officiant

A marriage officiate is a person with the legal authority to perform marriages within the province of Alberta.

When planning their marriage, a couple may choose a religious or civil ceremony. There are no legal differences between these two types of ceremonies:

  • Religious ceremonies are performed by a religious representative (registered clergy) as long as they are registered with Vital Statistics under the Marriage Act

  • Civil ceremonies (non-religious) are performed by marriage commissioners who are appointed by the Government of Alberta under the Marriage Act

Check our listing of marriage commissioners for an officiate in your area. Any marriage licence issuer can also provide you with a list.

Becoming a Marriage Officiate

For the purposes of performing marriages in Alberta, Vital Statistics is responsible for: