Change of Name, Address or Sex

Change of Name

There are three types of name changes: a legal name change, an assumed name change through marriage and reverting to a birth (maiden) name. For a legal name change, you must apply to Vital Statistics. Once approved, you will be issued a 'Legal Change of Name' certificate that you will need to present to a registry agent. For an assumed name change due to marriage, you will need to present your original marriage certificate to the registry agent. To revert back to a maiden name, you will need to present your marriage certificate or divorce decree in addition to your birth certificate. The Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act requires that if a person changes their name, address or postal address, they must make application within 14 days of the change to have a new licence issued. For a legal name change, this would be 14 days from the time you receive your legal name change certificate. For assumed names, since the use of these names are optional, this would be 14 days from the time you start using the assumed name. 

Change of Address

If you change your address, you are required by law to update the address information on your driver’s licence and/or vehicle registration within 14 days. To do this, you may visit any registry agent. You will be required to provide acceptable identification (in addition to the driver’s licence). If you move within Alberta and have a mail forward on your old address through Canada Post, drivers licences will not be forwarded to the new address, they will be returned to the government as non-deliverable and destroyed. Please ensure that the full correct address is on your drivers licence application so that it will be delivered to the proper address once printed.

There is a fee for the change of address service and for printing the new driver's licence; however, it may be possible for you to renew your licence early at the same time, in which case you will pay only a renewal fee. The registry agent will retain your old licence and provide you with a temporary interim licence to use until your new licence arrives in the mail (7 to 10 business days). This interim licence will not have a photograph, so it is recommended that you carry some other form of photo ID (e.g., passport) if you anticipate requiring photo ID during these few days. If you have not physically moved but your address has been changed by Canada Post or the municipality, you may provide the letter issued by Canada Post or the municipality outlining the details and your change of address and new driver’s licence will be provided free of charge.

There is no government fee to update the address information on your vehicle registration. You have three options available: your updated registration certificate can be mailed to you free of charge after the registry agent makes the update on the system, it can be printed right away at the registry agent office (for a service fee) or you may renew your registration early and extend your term and update the address simultaneously. When you renew your registration early, you will only pay the regular renewal fees, the address change is free.

For a list of fees, see the Registry Agent Product Catalogue (pdf).

Change of Sex

If you are under the care of an accredited psychologist or psychiatrist and your psychologist or psychiatrist supports that it is appropriate for you to alter the sex designation on your operator’s licence or identification card, you may apply to change the sex designation on your driver's licence or identification. You will need to submit the required documentation outlined below to the Edmonton or Calgary Motor Vehicle District office for approval. Once approved, you may attend a registry agent for an updated operator licence or identification card. 

The change in the sex designation appearing on your operator licence or identification card will revert back to your anatomic sex upon the expiry of your operator licence or identification card unless you reapply providing the same documentation outlined below when it is time to renew your operator licence or identification card.

The documentation that must be presented is:

  • Letter from the client to the Director of Motor Vehicles requesting the change of sex. The letter must include your full legal name, date of birth, current address, telephone number and must be signed and dated within the last 90 days.
  • Letter from your Psychologist or Psychiatrist who is an accredited member of any College of Physicians and Surgeons or College of Psychologists in Canada that  you are under their care and, that in their opinion, the change of sex is appropriate. The letter must be signed and dated within the last 90 days.
  • If you have chosen to undergo sex reassignment surgery (SRS), once your SRS is complete, you must submit two affidavits: one from the surgeon or clinic that completed the procedure(s) and one from your attending psychologist or psychiatrist, within 90 days of completion of the SRS so that your operator licence or identification card can be permanently altered to reflect the change.

    Once approved, you have two options; have the sex designation changed on your card with no extension to the expiry date appearing on the operator licence or identification card , or to avoid the replacement card fees, you may have the option to renew your operator licence or identification card early. If this option is chosen, the normal renewal fees are applicable. Please discuss this option with your registry agent to see if you are eligible.

    If, after you have applied for and received a change to your sex designation and you have not completed SRS, should you wish to have your sex designation changed back to your anatomic sex, then the legislation requires that you notify Motor Vehicles within 90 days of you making that decision so that the necessary changes to your operator licence or identification card may be done in a timely manner.

    To submit your application and documents you may take them to a registry agent and they will fax your documents to the district office. Optionally, you may also send your documents directly to one of the district offices below:

    Calgary (South District)

    Motor Vehicles, South District
    Service Alberta Building
    710 - 4 Avenue S.W.
    Calgary, AB T2P 0K3

    ATTN: Director

    Edmonton (North District)

    Motor Vehicles, North District
    J.E. Brownlee Building
    3rd flr, 10365 - 97 Street
    Edmonton, AB T5J 3W7

    ATTN: Director