Cemetery Pre-Need Contract Business Licence for Monument Businesses
A Cemetery Pre-Need Contract Business Licence authorizes a business or a person to solicit to enter or enter into pre-need contracts under which that business promises to provide, or to arrange for the provision of cemetery supplies or cemetery services or both before the death of the person for whose benefit the contract is entered into.
To get a licence for a cemetery pre-need contract business you must provide the following:
- Completed application (pdf) for a Cemetery Pre-Need Contract Sales Licence
- A licensing fee of $100 (Note: Your cheque should be made payable to the Government of Alberta. If you are applying in person, you may also pay this fee using Debit, Visa, MasterCard or cash. This fee is for a one-year licence from April 1 to March 31 the following year. If you are applying after October 1, the licensing fee is $50. Licences take effect the date they are issued. The department will send you a notice and the appropriate forms before your licence needs to be renewed. Licence holders must notify Service Alberta in writing if the address on their business licence changes.)
Pre-need money must be held in trust by an approved trust corporation. The licensee must submit an accountant’s report 120 days after their fiscal year end. Alberta Government Services will send you the accountant’s report form at your fiscal year end.
You can complete the following forms on line and then print them, or you can print and complete off line:
- Accountant’s Report on Pre-need Assurance Fund (pdf) – Monument Dealers GS0077
- Statement of Pre-Need Assurance Fund (pdf) – Monument Dealers GS0078
Trust fund accountant’s reports for monument dealers must be sent to:
Director of Cemeteries
3C Commerce Place
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
Contracts with consumers must contain specific information. A contract to provide cemetery supplies and/or services shall:
- Be written
- Signed by the purchaser and the seller
- Contain the name or the salesperson and the name of any owner for whom the sales person is selling
- Contain a detailed listing of the cemetery supplies or services or both to be provided by the seller
- Contain the cost to be charged for each supply and service
- Disclose what portion of the money paid is required for providing perpetual care
- What portion of the money paid is for the cost of cemetery supplies or services or both
- A cancellation schedule in the proper form
The purchaser must receive a copy of the contract by mail or personal delivery within 7 days after the day the contract was signed by him. Refer to the legislation shown below for the Schedule of Cancellation Rights.
Telephone and door-to-door contacts selling pre-need cemetery goods are no longer allowed unless specifically requested by the consumer. All other forms of direct sale, including mailing or distribution of brochures or other sales material, and other types of advertising in the media and on the Internet can continue.
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Queen’s Printer Bookstore at:
Park Plaza, 5 floor
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2P7
To call a Government of Alberta office toll free (in Alberta), dial 310-0000 and follow the instructions.